Prayers for Studying

As some of you know, I've been taking some grad. classes. Although I LOVE them, I'm finding it quite hard to sit down and study or write papers, etc. In desperation, I googled, "prayer for studying" and below is what I found!!!



Come, Holy Spirit, Divine Creator,
true source of light and fountain of wisdom!
Pour forth your brilliance upon my dense intellect,
dissipate the darkness which covers me,
that of sin and of ignorance.
Grant me a penetrating mind to understand,
a retentive memory,
method and ease in learning,
the lucidity to comprehend,
and abundant grace in expressing myself.
Guide the beginning of my work,
direct its progress,
and bring it to successful completion.
This I ask through Jesus Christ,
true God and true man,
living and reigning with You
and the Father, forever and ever.
Amen.
~ St. Thomas Aquinas



Most blessed Lord, send the grace of Your Holy Spirit on me to strengthen me that I may learn well the subject I am about to study and by it become a better person for Your glory, the comfort of my family and the benefit of Your Church and our Nation. Amen.
~ Unknown



Christ, the true light, who enlightens and sanctifies every person coming into the world, let the light of Your countenance shine upon me (us) that I (we) may see Your unapproachable light; and guide my (our) steps in the way of Your commandments, through the intercessions of Your all-holy Mother and of all the Saints. Amen.
~ Unknown



Open my mind to your grace, O Lord, as I begin my study today.
You are the source of all wisdom and truth:
so guide me along the right path
that I may persevere in my studies and scholarship.

May I learn well what I need to know;
may I understand what I need to learn;
may I remember what I need to explain.

Give to my efforts the success you would have for them, O Lord,
so that I may use wisely the knowledge I acquire
and thus live contentedly in your love and the service of my neighbour;
and in due time, may I receive by your grace,
the eternal reward you have prepared for me.

I ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.
~ Unknown

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these prayers. They are just what I need as I begin a journey into a new learning arena also.

Sundries Sublime said...

Hello Anonymous! I'm happy they are what you needed! I actually prayed them last night before I started studying and I got a lot done!! :-)

PS - Do I know you? If so, send me an email. I'd love to hear more about your new learning arena.

Meadowlark Days said...

These are lovely prayers. The third one sounds an awful lot like an Orthodox prayer - will try to look it up if I have a chance!

cleangreenslate said...

These are cool. I'm going to send them to my hubby - he's studying for the first in a series of licensing tests.

Also, I said my own prayer for you today - grad school is tough, but fascinating.