New Necklace















This is a necklace I've been working on. It's finally finished! Above is the photo it was inspired by and then the front & back of the necklace.


Since summer I've had a few requests for jewelry, mostly custom pieces. I loved it but realized something about myself through the process - I am not ready to sell my wares!! I worry way too much about what people will think of the pieces.

Will they like it?
Would they tell me if they didn't?
What if the piece falls apart or breaks?
Will they let me know so I can replace it?
What if they don't tell me and I think they are happy with it but really they resent me for selling them damaged goods?????

The thoughts go on, but you get the gist of it.

I found as I had projects to work on I began to avoid making jewelry. Any jewelry. The creative juices stopped flowing, only critical juices flowed. I felt uninspired. I worked out of obligation. It was no fun!

I'm not ready to have pressure from and deadlines on my hobbies.

6 comments:

Agnese said...

:( that is so sad because you do an absolutely fantastic work!!!! and none of the necklases have fallen apart but i have gotten tons of wonderful compliments!

p.o. said...

Right! I definitely love your works!! Please keep up on the great jobs!!!

rochelle said...

i'm totally with the above people, your jewelry is great and you shouldn't worry so much, everyone i gave it to LOVED it.

Yet, at the same time, I think that's a good thing to know about yourself, you should never make a hobby something that can become stressful.

krissypants said...

Jenny, the very reason I can't solidify any creative endeavor which I so lustily wish to begin. Don't let such thoughts hold you back.

Are those Alisa's kids?

Sundries Sublime said...

Krissypants!!!!! Thanks for leaving a comment!!!!! I'm still waiting for YOUR blog!!! I check your fickr account regularly!!! Paden is soooooo adorable!!! I don't have an account, so I can never leave any comments. :-(

LoriLaurieLauri said...

While I do agree that it's something you shouldn't stress over, I do believe that this piece inparticular is so beautiful, and something parents and grandparents would hold so dearly to their hearts!

I find it AMAZING that you can get the portrait into the metal like that! I, personally, would just love the piece with the kids' names only-without the picture. Would you maybe think about something like that? No pressure though! lol!